PRK or PHOTOREFRACTIVE KERATECTOMY
PRK was the first technique using Laser Excimer for correction of refractive errors.
PRK is performed in two steps:
- Mechanical abrasion of the corneal epithelium
- Laser computed-assisted treatment on the stroma underlying the removed epithelium.
- Application of diluted mitomycine 0,02% in case of deep ablation to avoid sub-epithelial Haze.
PRK – Lasek
- PRK induces ocular pain during 48 hours. Analgesics are necessary for few days.
- Visual recovery needs one to two weeks.
- PRK is indicated for low and moderate refractive errors of myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism.
- Each eye is operated separately.
Excimer Laser – Other techniques :
- Aberrometry and wave front customized visual correction
- Ultra-Thin Lasik en Sub-bowman Keratomileusis (SBKM)