- Refractive surgery: Doctor Assaf began refractive surgery in Belgium with Laser EXCIMER AT university hospital St-Pierre in 1993 (radial keratotomy, Laser Excimer, PRK, Phakic IOL,…).
He began Lasik surgery. in Paris in early 1995. At almost the beginning of this technique. He reported in 2003 the results of the treatment by aberrometry and customized treatment with the platform Zyoptics Bausch & Lomb.
He began customized and aberrometry treatment to improve visual quality after refractive surgery. He participated to the first European studies about customized Lasik and aberrometry.
He communicated his results during international meetings about customized Lasik, aberrometry and treatment of high myopia with Lasik and with phakic intraocular lenses.
Since 2003, Doctor Assaf is using the technique of ultra-thin Lasik with thin flap (90 to 110 µ), with specific device of the hansatom zerocompression head.
Since 2004, Doctor Assaf is exercising in his private center the Brussels Eye Center where he performs refractive surgery with the Wavelight Allegretto Laser platform. Since 1994, he is using ARTISAN and ARTIFLEX phakic and intraocular lenses for high myopia. And since 2005, he is using the VISIAN ICL monofocal and toric for the correction of high myopia and hyperopia combined with astigmatism.
- Doctor Assaf is performing phacoemulsification technique for cataract surgery with topical anaesthesia using drops since 1994. He communicated his clinical results in national and international meetings.
He began in 2005 the clinical application and the implantation of multifocal ALCON RESTOR as part of cataract surgery. The ALCON RESTOR allows far and near vision and the new model RESTOR AD1 (2008) allows also intermediate vision.
Since 2007 he is performing phacoemulsification technique with micro-incision without suture combined with an implantation of multifocal intraocular lenses correcting myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism with presbyopia.
Doctor Assaf is always using last techniques and last technologies with the best devices and the last generation of intraocular lenses.
He is applying the most efficient surgical techniques for refractive surgery and cataract surgery and is always choosing the best indication for the specific case of each patient.
- Surgical techniques performed by Doctor Assaf :
- Radial Keratotomy
- Arcuate Keratotomy for Astigmatism
- Laser Excimer: Lasik surgery. (since 1995), PRK, Lasek (since 1993)
- Ultra-Lasik and Sub-bowman SBKM (Sub-bowman Kerato Mileusis): Lasik with thin flap directly on the Bowman membrane.
- Aberrometry and customized treatment (since 2002)
- Presbylasik for presbyopia and hyperopia
- Prelex : Presbyopic lens exchange
- Accommodative and multifocal intraocular lenses correcting myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism and presbyopia.
- Refractive intraocular lenses for correction of Myopia Hyperopia and Astigmatism in phakic eyes.
- Arcuate Incisions for correction of astigmatism combined with Excimer laser surgery and phakic intraocular lenses
- Since 2005, use of multifocal accommodative and pseudo-accommodative intraocular lenses during cataract surgery. These intra-ocular lenses correct myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism and presbyopia.
- Cataract surgery by phacoemulsification with topical anaesthesia (drops) followed by foldable intraocular lenses using an injector. Micro incision technique without stitches correcting myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism and presbyopia.
- Glaucoma surgery
- Collagen Corneal Cross-Linking (UV + Riboflavin) combined to Topoguided Excimer Laser PRK to stablize and correct keratoconus.
- Intrastromal corneal ring segments combined to Collagen Corneal Cross-Linking (UV + Riboflavine) for keratoconus.
- Diploma's and Qualifications :
1989 Doctorate in Medicine
René Descartes University, Paris V
1994 Legal European Diploma of Ophthalmology
ULB University, Brussels
1994 Fellowship in Refractive Surgery at University Hospitals of Paris
From 1994 to 1998 Fellowship at University Hospital Saint-Pierre, Brussels
Responsible of Refractive Surgery department University Hospital Saint-Pierre, Brussels
From 1998 to 2001 Clinical Assistant Professor at University Hospital Saint-Pierre, Brussels
Since 2001 Consultant – Ex-Clinical Assistant Professor at University Hospital Saint-Pierre, Brussels
Liberal Activity at Brussels Eye Center.
- University Hospital Activities :
- Responsible of Refractive Surgery department at CHU Saint-Pierre in Brussels
- Anterior Segment Surgery: cornea, cataract, glaucoma
- Training of residents in Anterior Segment Surgery and Refractive Surgery
- Inter-universities meetings and courses
- Scientific meetings and congresses.
- Many Humanitarian missions in Africa and Haiti since 1991