WAVE FRONT CUSTOMIZED VISUAL CORRECTION
BY ABBEROMETRY OR WAVE FRONT GUIDED CUSTOM LASER, ZYOPTIX
Our eyes are similar to fingerprints: they have their individual shape with their own characteristics. Customized treatment by aberrometry uses a software allowing treating optic aberrations specific to each eye. The purpose is to enhance quality of vision better than glasses, lens or conventional treatment.
Until 2002, existing diagnostic instruments could detect myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism. They represent 90% of all refractive errors. Higher order aberrations represent the last 10%.
Aberrometers are new instruments able to measure and treat these higher order aberrations in a personal way specific to each patient.
Front Wave Analysis:
Originally used by astro-physicians, this technique is adapted to the treatment of refractive errors.
- Higher order aberrations are measured by the analysis of the reflected image through an optic grid.
- The wave front diagnosis performed with a non-contact instrument that studies the whole optic system of the eye from the retina to the cornea.
- Measurements of aberrations are combined to an analysis of the anterior and posterior corneal topography by the Orbscan.
- Parameters measured by the Aberrometer are transferred to a disk. These data allow a computer-assisted treatment of common refractive errors (myopia and astigmatism) and higher order aberrations. This technique also prevents induced laser aberrations.
- Advantages of a customized treatment by aberrometry are:
- Customized treatment according to aberrations for each eye.
- Enhancement of the best postoperative visual acuity sometimes up to more than 100%.
- Enhancement of night and sometimes day quality of vision compared to conventional treatment.
- Fewer risk of decrease of best corrected visual acuity.
- Better visual stability and fewer risk of re-treatment.
- Ability to treat severe ametropia not treatable until now by classic techniques, even with a moderate corneal thickness or a large pupil diameter at night.
Customized treatment by aberrometry is essentially indicated for patients with significant higher order aberrations and large pupil diameter measured preoperatively. In these cases, post-operative results are statistically significantly better than with conventional treatment.
Excimer Laser – Other techniques :
- Aberrometry and wave front customized visual correction
- ULTRA-THIN LASIK et Sub-bowman Keratomileusis (SBKM)